In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- NEW: Information about pet food companies for informed decisions
- Cat Food Nutritional Composition:
An updated, comprehensive list of canned cat food containing protein, carbohydrates and calorie values
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Behavior Problems Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS The Art & Science of Animal Behaviour
- Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement We have all experienced the pain of losing a pet. The Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement has set up this site for support during this most difficult time. You will find inspirational stories, grief counseling resources, hotline number and many other resources.
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control
- Toxic and Non-toxic Plants This list contains plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on animals and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- Ontario Veterinary College
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- CAPC Companion Animal Parasite Council This site has lots of information on pets and parasites. Learn how to reduce risks for your family.
- Indoor Cat Initiative Keeping Indoor Cats Healthy: Tips and techniques for preventing stress-related health problems.
- Rainbow Bridge Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members.
- West Nile Virus This site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, and has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the US, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.
- American Veterinary Medical Association This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine
- American Association of Feline Practitioners The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health
- Veterinary Information Network VIN is the world's first and largest online veterinary community
- Getting Your Cat To the Vet: AAFP article about carrier training, etc.
- Felv/FIV information: Information on these important cat "retro-viruses"
- Carbohydrate Contents of Canned Foods US List (also includes Canadian brands sold in US):
- Carbohydrate Contents of Canned Foods Canadian List (additional list of non-US canned foods):
The following lists have protein, fat and carbohydrate contents of many commercially available canned foods, values based on a calorie basis, not weight (this will make the fat seem higher than you may be used to)
What are they and do I need to worry?